The Fundamentals of Writing a Financial Plan provides a unique approach to helping aspiring financial planners write a comprehensive financial plan. The book outlines how the CFP Board of Standards, Inc. newly-revised 7-step systematic financial planning process can be applied when writing a comprehensive financial plan for an individual or family and demonstrates how to analyze and create a plan for key financial planning scenarios.
The book not only highlights various elements involved in comprehensive financial planning, including estate, tax, cash flow, education planning, and much more – but also introduces important behavioral perspectives and communication techniques. As a way to synthesize these pieces and learn how the plan writing process unfolds, students follow a running case—the Hubble family.
This book features:
- A thorough review of the new 7-step systematic financial planning process.
- A description of the regulatory environment in which every financial planner operates.
- An in-depth discussion of client communication and counseling techniques.
- Financial planning strategies that can be applied to a variety of clients and client circumstances.
- A chapter-by-chapter focus on analytical tools and techniques that can be used to evaluate client data.
- An example of a complete written financial plan with explanations about how analyses lead to the recommendations.
- Chapter-based learning aids, including access to a fully integrated Financial Planning Analysis Excel™ package and other online support materials, including video examples of client communication and counseling strategies.
- Instructions on how to do calculations essential to creating a financial plan.
- Numerous self-test questions to test comprehension of material.
New in the revised 1st Edition:
- Newly updated materials that reflect current financial planning trends
- Updated information regarding recent tax changes, including the SECURE Act
- Writing a Financial Plan
- Laws, Regulations, and Ethics: Standards Guiding the Financial Planning Process
- Fundamentals of Communication and Counseling in Financial Planning
- Cash Flow and Net Worth Planning
- Tax Planning
- Life Insurance Planning
- Health Insurance Planning
- Disability Insurance Planning
- And more! See the “Table of Contents” section for a full list of topics
A note for instructors:
This book serves as a capstone book for students in financial planning programs by allowing instructors to combine all of the relevant financial planning sub-disciplines (budgeting, tax, estate, and insurance planning) into a single plan-writing exercise.
If you have questions about our academic program or if you are interested in purchasing the original 1st edition, please contact Jay Caslow by phone at 614-562-6462 or by email at [email protected]